Saturday, June 30, 2012

My kitten made me do it...

This is not going to be a crafting post. Sorry to disappoint.
So you may or may not have heard that my boyfriend and I recently adopted a kitten from the Lawrence Humane society (Go adopt yours: http://www.lawrencehumane.org/). We had trouble on deciding which animal and of what species to adopt. He fell in love with a grey tabby named Tom. Tom was a five month old, active, playful kitten. He was also $75. Obviously Tom was not meant for us. We went on a Thursday so cats older than 6 months are free plus you receive a free collar, a free bag of food, and the cat is micro-chipped for free so it can be tracked if ever lost (go here http://www.lawrencehumane.org/ or find your humane society).
I am not one to jump into a decision. Sure, I jumped into getting a pet but deciding on the specific one was tough. Especially after I saw Dozer. Dozer is a dog that was left by his owners on the side of the road. Not only that but Dozer was left by people who had previously adopted him from a Humane Society. He looked so sad. It reminded me of my first puppy, Romeo.
After settling that no, we weren't going to buy Tom or Dozer since both cost $75, we had to choose between two very similar cats. The problem with choosing is that we each chose one cat and wouldn't budge. We walked around trying to decide and then I found her. We had just walked into Cat-topia where all the cats roam free and the cutest of little black cats walked by. It didn't take much time and we were on our way home with our Phoenix. We kept the name that the Humane society gave her.

So this lovely story of how the newest member of our household came to be brings me to how my cat drove me crazy. Phoenix is fully housebroken. She was cleared with a clean bill of health at her check up. So you can image my annoyance that she continually goes to the bathroom on the carpet in front of her litter box. This has been going on for about a week now. All we need to do is make it to Monday and then she is going to the vet, and this is why. Her litter is clean and new. We thought that maybe she was mad that we kept her locked in our room while we weren't at home so now we've been leaving the door open. Still using the carpet. She also has been dragging her butt on the carpet which has been going on for longer than a week so maybe she is trying to tell me something. Either way it's not her fault. I understand. But after working a double shift and then coming home to her presents on the carpet for the second time today you can imagine my annoyance. I snapped. I came home, saw it, got pissed. As soon as the carpet was clean I nailed a towel to the floor. Now you might say "why on earth did you NAIL a towel down??". Well here's my reasoning. I've put a towel down before and she just goes on the towel which is great. Exactly what I wanted. The thing about Phoenix is that she isn't dumb. She's actually a really smart kitty. She knows that we'll be mad. My boyfriend is just as annoyed with her. So she covers it up like I won't notice. She pulls rugs, towels, nearly anything she can over it to cover. She even pulled my hair straightener of the dresser by it's cord once (the horror!!). As you can tell I am annoyed and I refuse to deal with it anymore. So I nailed a towel to the floor. I have no advice other than, if your cat is dragging it's butt on the floor take it to a vet.

No comments:

Post a Comment